Sunday, February 12, 2012

Let's talk pie.  Everyone loves pie.  This was my first attempt at a meringue style pie, it turned out pretty good.  Like a good baker, I like to cook with what is in season. Given that it is the middle of Winter, citrus is readily available, cheap and full of flavor.  There are so many things that you can do with citrus, but in this case....making a lemon curd and dousing lemons in sugar seemed like a good option. 

The pie after its toasting in the oven.

Mile high meringue!
I was pretty intimidated by making a pie, I had never made one before.  Particularly I was nervous about the meringue.  I always heard horror stories about meringues 'falling'.  Fortunately, mine stood up proudly and I was very happy with my filling to pie ratio ( I like meringue).  I did 'cheat' on this pie by using a premade crust.  But, given how easy this one was to make, I will try to make my own crust next time. 

For this recipe, I created the lemon curd using fresh lemons and fresh lemon zest, slowly tempering the egg yolks so they came up to temperture just right.

For the meringue, I put the egg whites in my mixer, slowly added sugar, and just let it go to work.  The whites were so stiff that I could have turned the bowl over and they wouldn't have spilled out.

A little toasting in the oven and the pie was good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment