Friday, August 9, 2013

My FAVORITE protein pancakes

I love breakfast food. I love it for breakfast, lunch, dinner and sometimes a late night snack.  But,  that doesn't always translate as something healthy or nutrient dense.

For instance, your typical buttermilk pancakes might offer you that cozy feeling when you eat them. Syrupy, filling and lots of butter.  But they have little nutrition, a lot of carbs and usually a lot of sugar after you douse them in maple syrup.  Typical pancakes always leave me hungry an hour later.

In my search for the perfect pancake alternative to those fluffy golden circles of buttermilk and maple syrup goodness-  I came up with the 'protein pancake'.

Here is what you will need:

Protein pancake (makes 1 pancake) 

-1/3 cup old fashioned oats
-1/3 cup egg whites
-1/3 cup reduced fat cottage cheese ( I HATE cottage cheese. You can not taste it in this recipe at all.)
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp vanilla extract
 (optional) honey, maple syrup, fresh fruit- for topping
 

All ingredients!

Add all your ingredients in your blender.  Blend until smooth (I always start slow until the ingredients combine, then turn up the blender speed a little).  This should take no longer than 40 seconds.
Pour your 'batter' into a hot pan (I usually turn it on while i'm blending up the batter).  Always use a little cooking spray so things don't stick!


It's cooking!

As you would with normal pancakes, wait until the 'bubbles' start to stick and then flip it. 

After the 'flip,' I'm a horrible pancake flipper!

Finished product!

I added a drizzle of tupelo honey ( which the pancake soaked up)

This is one of my favorite 'go-to' recipes. It is quick, yummy and packs around 25 grams of protein in just one pancake. It is also under 300 calories ( before adding honey or other toppings).  They taste a lot like french toast, but in pancake form.  You would have no idea that this pancake could be good and good for you.

Other options for this pancake include...
-adding berries into the batter (once poured in pan)
-adding pumpkin puree to the batter ( in the blender) for a pumpkin protein pancake.  I'd add a little pumpkin pie spice for this to.
-adding pieces of turkey bacon into the pancake (once poured in the pan)


 I hope you give my protein pancakes a try!

Peace, love and pancakes for everyone,
Caitlin


No comments:

Post a Comment