Thursday, March 14, 2013

High protein, low carb, clean, turkey tacos

Sometimes I'm tired and I don't really want to cook dinner.  This is one of those 'go-to' meals that I cook when I'm not feeling like making something complicated.

Disclaimer: while I do post lots of things about sugary, salty, delicious junk food.  I don't eat like that all the time.  I eat as clean as I possibly can and try to limit my carbs and increase my protein.  This is just what works for me.  Everybody is different. Do what works for you.

Turkey tacos are a quick and easy weeknight dinner.  It doesn't take a lot of time and it doesn't cost a lot of money.  

Here's what you need:

-1 pound ground turkey
-Taco seasoning of your choice (I used Vann's Taco Seasoning, that I bought at Whole foods.  You could EASILY make your own Taco Seasoning- I just didn't feel like it.)
-Romaine lettuce (whole leaves)
-Cheese of your choice (I had goat cheese crumbles lying around, so that's what I used.)

Here is the ground turkey I used.  I don't like using red meat all the time, however, use any ground meat of your choosing.  I try to buy my meat when it's on sale, then I freeze it.  I'm always using ground turkey or chicken breasts, so it never goes to waste.

Add a bit of oil of your choosing, I used safflower oil, to the pan before heating.  Turkey is very lean and will burn to the pan without a little oil- but don't get crazy! Cook the ground turkey, it will turn white when it is cooked.  Since you brown ground beef, do you white ground turkey? haha  Anyways, after its cooked I added around a 1/3 cup of water to the cooked meat.  Then about 1.5 tablespoons of taco seasoning.  


This is what the taco seasoning I used had in it.  I bought it because it was already put together and didn't have any 'junk' in yet.  When this runs out, I'll probably blend my own together.

I think its cool to use the romaine leaves at 'taco shells'.  I used goat cheese crumbles to top it off.  Use what you have in your fridge.  Sometimes the best meals come happen by accident this way!
Turkey tacos, plated and ready to be eaten!  If you find this too messy, tear up the lettuce and throw it all in a bowl and make a salad out of it!  If I had tomatoes or peppers I would have thrown those in with this too.  But, its close to the end of the week and my fridge is looking a little empty.

I hope you enjoyed tonight's quick blog.  Healthy food doesn't have to be complicated!  Don't be afraid to experiment with food and discover something new.

You are what you eat, so eat the good stuff,
Caitlin

1 comment: